Wednesday, September 10, 2014

What's In a Selfie?


What other title could an English major use for this post? That's right - none. Shakespeare references are just too good to be ignored. In this new digital era, the newest fad to express ourselves seems to have evolved from self-portraits. However, we now call them 'selfies'. How many of you are guilty of taking at least one selfie in your life? I know I'm guilty as charged. Lately, there seems to be a variety of different view points on selfies and whether taking them makes one vain or if its completely normal. 

I believe that selfies are a healthy part of  our emotional well-being. They allow us to show the world or at least our friends what we're feeling without using words. Posting them on social media sites can gain us "likes" and comments full of compliments, ultimately boosting our self-confidence and self-esteem.

The above picture is probably my favorite selfie. The story it tells people is one about myself on my 21st birthday and feeling beyond ready to conquer the world. Some commented on the photo saying "fierce!" after I posted it, and they're right. This was at a point in my life when I was the most physically fit and healthy in all aspects of my life; and, I wanted to share with the world the happiness and strength that particular balance brought to me.


Now, this one was taken a few days ago. I added the black and white filter to represent this post-graduation funk that I've been feeling the past few months. It hasn't been an easy transition for me by any means, yet here I am still smiling. I wanted to portray how life is a WONDERFUL gift even through the ups and downs. 

Selfies to me are a work of art. They are a form of expression just as poetry is. At least to a certain extent  (I will always value the written word more than photography or other art forms as a loyal English major).  I draw the line though at posting and taking selfies every single day. Once every few weeks is just fine...anymore in my opinion and that aura of vanity starts to appear and I begin to understand how some can believe that selfies are just a way to fish for compliments. So, don't abuse the power of posting selfies as I'm sure my post comes off that way with all the selfie examples. Oops! I promise, I'm not a hypocrite.



What is your favorite selfie that you have taken? Examine one again and ask yourself what it says about you. Selfies can boost self-esteem and help you re-evaluate where you are emotionally in your every day life.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment