Friday, September 12, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Muffin Recipe



If accidentally spending $6 dollars out of a poor post-graduate pocket on three huge apples just because they looked delicious doesn't scream fall to you, maybe the current 45 degree weather does? No? Then, I've got something to put you right into fall mode. Nothing pairs better with autumn then the scent of pumpkin spice. So on this chilly Friday morning, I'm bringing you a recipe that could just be one of the easiest you've ever made. It will leave your kitchen smelling like pumpkin spice for hours. I'm all for researching and experimenting with healthier ingredients and recipes; and, this recipe is no exception.

All you need to purchase from the store is a box of spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin. My go to cake mix brand for these muffins is Duncan Hines.  Libby's Pure Pumpkin is a great choice for the canned pumpkin, but I went generic to save a few pennies (Hey, when you're fresh out of college - you save anyway you can!). Before you leave the grocery store, make sure that your can of pumpkin says, "Pure Pumpkin", not "Pumpkin Pie"... the recipe won't turn out otherwise.

When you're ready to make these sweet treats, it doesn't hurt to light a fall candle to bring out the aroma of the spices. Set your oven to 350 degrees. Pour the cake mix in a bowl and scoop out the pumpkin. DO NOT ADD ANY OF THE INGREDIENTS ON THE BACK OF THE CAKE BOX. The pumpkin is the healthy substitute for the oil and eggs of this recipe! Pretty neat, huh? You end up saving quite a few calories. 


Stir up the two ingredients thoroughly. The first time I made this recipe, I was flabbergasted at how the pumpkin absorbed the cake mix. Trust me, you'll be amazed. Keep mixing with a spoon until all the clumps of cake mix are gone. As you can see from my picture, I enjoyed a cup of pumpkin spice coffee from my Keurig with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice while I was baking.


Grease a muffin pan and spoon the dough into the pan. I don't use muffin liners, but you're welcome to if you want. Just make sure those are greased nicely. Pop the muffins in the oven and follow the directions for baking time on the back of the cake mix box. Stick a toothpick in them to check if they're done. If the toothpick is clear, the muffins are done! 

 Let them cool. Then enjoy! They are perfect with a glass of milk. You can store them in an air tight container for a few days, but they taste better within a few days of making them.

What's your favorite scent of fall?
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment