Thursday, September 18, 2014

Food Feature: Chicken Fajita Salad

Alright, before you read this post... do me a favor if you're at your computer. Open a new tab and go to pandora.com. Add the Mumford & Sons station. If you don't have a pandora account, you should sign up. This station was my muse while cooking dinner tonight; and, it was always my go to station for homework in college whenever I needed to be productive. Are you listening yet? Good. Now, feast your eyes on this sight:

 

That my readers, is what I like to call a chicken fajita lettuce bowl. It was one of those nights where I was running around Target to see what other than what I actually came for I could leave with, and it was then that my stomach grumbled. I found out that boneless skinless chicken breasts were on sale for a dollar less than normal and you better believe I dove right in to get myself a prize package of that special. With a little help from the back of a fajita seasoning mix packet, I collected the rest of the ingredients and left the store excited to head home and cook myself some dinner. 


While I tease your taste-buds with the first image of this post, let me interrupt and show you my cute outfit for the day. I am so in a fall mood right now. I know what you're thinking...and it's right. I am one of those pumpkin spice latte type of girls. I treated myself to a small latte while shopping for dinner. Anyways, let's just sweep that addiction...I mean...confession under the rug. I am no fashionista by any means and unfortunately working retail has not made me too much trendier, but I still try. 

I thought I did alright putting together this outfit. I am currently a fan of finding creative ways for patterns to work together. I am also longing for a mustard yellow cardigan and have been for a while. I even went as far as to purchase one, but chose the wrong size... silly me. That's another reason I was at Target tonight; but, good news is that I'll have the correct size in my possession tomorrow and be ready to parade around for the rest of fall in warm autumn tones. Now, back to the good stuff...that's right. FOOD!


I have learned to love vegetables with a passion over the past few years. These peppers though...do they not look delectable? Again, there is definitely some warm, fall colors on this cutting board. Yum. Yum. Yum. I also chopped up half a huge onion. 


I followed the package directions on the fajita seasoning and cooked the chicken until it was no longer pink, then removed it from the pan and sauteed the peppers and onions in some olive oil and water. I cut up my head of lettuce, but left a piece for my lettuce bowl for my salad.


Finally, I added a sprinkle of cheese and some delicious homemade salsa that my boyfriend's mom, Wendy, made from scratch and gifted to me. (Thanks Wendy!!) There is something about homemade salsa that makes dinner all the more special. 

One more confession for you all. You know how the lettuce bowl is supposed to be a substitute for the tortillas which can add unnecessary calories, fat, and carbs to your meal? Yeah...Well, normally I avoid the tortillas and take only the salad route, but tonight I was craving carbs. Therefore, I took one tortilla and shredded it up into little squares and sprinkled it onto my fajita salad like little raw croutons. I know, I'm weird; but, you should try it sometime. It's wonderful.

Still listening to Mumford & Son's Pandora Station? It's soothing and empowering, right? What's your favorite Pandora station?


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment