Friday, September 5, 2014

My Relationship with Running


I am a runner. I don't run well, but I run. I don't run every single day, but I run. I don't always enjoy to run, but I run. I started running my sophomore year of college after signing up for a 5k Color Run and knowing I needed to train to be ready for it. Since then, I have completed several more 5Ks that can no longer be counted on one hand. My goal is to someday soon run a 10K. I may need some help though from my cross country/track coach of a boyfriend  *ahem*Help me, Zach!*cough*. In the meantime, I try to get outside and run by myself as often as possible. 


For example, with a high of 66 degrees F, I knew today was going to be a chilly one. I prepped myself this morning by summoning fall a little early. I enjoyed two cups of my pumpkin spice coffee topped with whipped cream and some pumpkin pie spice. After letting my coffee settle, I was ready to hit the ground running, both figuratively and literally. 




Running is comparable to exercising a muscle, you can't do a few weight lifting exercises and then stop for months and still have the same muscle mass. The same with running, you can't run for months and then stop running and expect to be on the same fitness level weeks later. This summer I didn't run as much as I wanted to, but being busy didn't stop me from short runs here and there. 

A lot of running is mental. You have to believe your legs will carry you to your destination. It's almost more of a workout for your brain then your body. Mind over matter. I'll talk more about that in an upcoming post on Monday dealing with a challenge for all, myself included, to motivate us to reach our goals. 

 To those of you who have never ran a day in your life, or who constantly joke that you can't run to save your life, I have a challenge for you. Go for a brisk walk this weekend and enjoy the first few leaves on the trees changing colors or that fresh scent that is left behind by the most recent rainfall. 

While you're walking, pick up your pace into a jog for minute intervals. Believe it or not, you'll be running. You will be a runner. That's all it takes. You don't have to run the entire distance your first few times. Heck, the past few days - I have had to install short bursts of walking into my runs to catch my breath. It's nothing to be ashamed of. 



It's still running. It's still exercise; and, it's great for your physical health. Running also releases all your negative energy and takes your mind off of worries and replaces it with endorphins and a great mood! What are you waiting for? Go find a path, and RUN!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment